Friday, June 27, 2008

So I haven’t blogged for several weeks…sorry about that. I’d like to say that I have been so busy doing really exciting things here in China that I just have not had the time. But I cannot really say this because it would only be partly true. :) I/we have been quite busy with work, travel, sightseeing, just life in general I guess.

It is very interesting to me how my life here in China seems rather normal. I have developed routines and a sense of normalcy here. Going to work, finding things to occupy the evening hours, hanging out with the boys, going to Starbucks, making plans for the weekend. Normal kind of stuff. When I first arrived here, I thought that would never happen. Just the other day, I reflected on how I felt as we first drove into Tianjin late on the first night here. (It was about 1:30am.) I couldn’t believe what I had gotten myself into! I was very intimidated and rather freaked out to be honest. The city was so huge and everything was so unfamiliar. I couldn’t read a single sign, lights and neon signs everywhere and I couldn’t understand a single word. I thought I would never be able to venture very far without getting so utterly lost and confused. It would be a disaster. I remember thinking it would be a long and lonely summer just hanging out in the apartment with the boys. To add to my apprehension, I took the bus a few times and desperately tried to remember landmarks so I wouldn’t get lost since I couldn’t read nor remember street signs. I remember experiencing many of these same feelings (albeit to a lesser degree) when I first moved to Ann Arbor from Sioux Falls. Though everything seemed strange and scary when I first arrived in China and Tianjin, I knew in the back of my mind that it would only be a matter of time before I started to feel at home. And now I have been here in Tianjin for almost 7 weeks and my initial fears and apprehensions are a distant memory. Time has gone by so fast. I cannot believe I have been living in China for almost 2 montsh! In the first weeks, everything was so new and exciting. Yet, just a few short weeks later, things are still different and exciting. But the novelty has worn off in a sense. My surroundings are no longer unfamiliar and scary. I even have a sense of direction. I know where I am in relation to other landmarks and places I know. It really gives me a sense of accomplishment. I’ve never been that great with directions, but here I am in China and I kind of know where a couple things are. Well, enough to know that I’m not lost anyway. :) And in my book, that certainly counts for something.

Tomorrow (Saturday) a couple co-workers from the TJCDC have invited Jeff, Keith and me over to their homes for lunch and then dinner. We are going to learn how to make Chinese dumplings, called jiaozi. They are absolutely delicious. I’ve had several types of jiaozi at many restaurants here in Tianjin. I’m excited to learn how to make them. Though I do not cook and I am rather bad it even when I try, I may try to make these when I am back in the states too. No promises though. :) We’ll just see how this cooking adventure goes…

I will post some pictures of our trip to the Great Wall and other Beijing sightseeing this weekend. I know looking at pictures is the most interesting part of this blog. So I don’t want to disappoint. :)

No comments: